Thursday, February 08, 2007

Valentines Day is upon us...

and I suppose this calls for tales of Valentines Days past.

Picture it, Lincoln Heights, 1993. I had just met Boyfriend #1. Back then we didn't have cell phones or myspace, so the way boys told girls (especially at all-girls Catholic schools) they were thinking about them was by sending a Candygram. This is how student government made a chunk of change, selling little cards with candy and then hand-delivering them to the other schools for a dollar. So imagine everyone's surprise in my homeroom when this little mousy girl, yours truly, got a candygram. It was quite the sensation. Every year for the rest of my high school days I had a boyfriend for VDay, so I guess that first Candygram was a good omen. I still have all my Candygrams in a box someplace. Like I said, not my best story, but it's a story.

I've never really been a hopeless romantic. I'd much rather be the recipient of small gestures of caring and consideration every day than once a year cliches. But, I do have a couple of those overdone stories too.

Boyfriend #4 (aka Love of my Life) once lit about 100 tea candles in his apartment with the help of his roommates, who had left us a very nice romantic meal and set a Keith Sweat CD on a loop to set the mood (hey, it was 1997 and these were homeboys). And the card he gave me had a very clever contract in fine print all around the edge binding me to stay with him forever and give him lots of kisses every day for the rest of my life, among other things. Sigh. Still, it'll be one of my deathbed memories.

Then there was Boyfriend #5.5 (forgive my dodgy boyfriend classification system). He once left a bunch of red roses sprinkled on my car before I left for school. And the guy deserves credit because I was in nursing school at the time so I had to leave pretty early in the morning. What was funny was that the gardeners were waiting by my car because they'd seen him bring the flowers and wanted to see my reaction. Very nice guy that one.

And now that VDay is approaching next week, I'm a bit nervous.
Candy Man from work told me yesterday that I had to remind him of "something funny" he has to tell me "next Wednesday." Hmm...Maybe this year he'll give me a lump of coal.



4 comments:

Watson Woodworth said...

Ah, That Day is well heigh!
Usually I end up giving myself a little special praise if I'm not overly mean to people on That Day.
Nobody likes an ogre on a day when they're busy trying to celebrate being happy.

Anonymous said...

Hey Friend...I will definitely make sure you get a V Day greeting from me. You never know what's around the corner...some lucky guy is going to catch and hold on to you...you'll see. :)

yezenia said...

I am never an ogre on VDay. I do think it's a silly secular holiday, but who am I to rain on everyone's overpriced and affected romance?

And Jenn, did you see the Clarion Update? Mr. Bernie went to the c/o 96's reunion. That vile betrayer!

Unknown said...

Girl I swear your post make me laugh each and every time.