Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Big News

So I forgot to post the news that brought on the previous post...as a present to myself for turning 30, I'm going to Ireland! It's always been on my Places I Want to Visit List, at the top actually, so in celebration (yes I'm going to celebrate this) of turning THIRTY, I'm going. I really wanted to try to go it alone, but I can't quite do that yet so my friend Carmen is coming with. Maybe if it were a tour group I'd go alone, but we're planning on driving around (praying the whole way that we don't forget which side of the road to drive on) so I need a buddy for that. So I am super excited and really wish it were May already.

Anyway, I thought it was funny that when I mentioned it on my scrapping board, a couple of the ladies said they were jealous. I replied that travel is one of the perks of being a spinster, to which some replied that I wasn't a spinster...yada yada...

So here's what's funny, I spent the last couple of years somewhat jealous of others' families, being married, being mothers, having real homes, etc. And now I'm not. Sure I have moments when I think I'd still love to win the lottery and be able to afford a house and a kid on my own, but I've become very selfish lately. I really love not having to wake up early, being able to take off for dinner or drinks any time of the day, not having to worry about taking anyone to the ER for stitches or what have you, not having to worry that someone or something will hurt my child. I'm quite a worrier, so it's a good thing I don't have anyone to stress out about otherwise I'd never get any sleep.

Anyway, I know there's a reason why they say the grass is always greener on the other side. I've been there. But now, right now, I'm really digging the not-so-green grass on MY side.

3 comments:

Ginny said...

You are so lucky, that is on my list of top places to go! I don't think i will be able to make it by 30 (next year) so hopefully by 40 :) I commented though because I was married with 1 kid by 19 & I always imagined my life as a "spinster", lol. I think everyone gets jealous of the other side at certain points in there life. Just have to make the best of what you have & it sounds like you are. Have a wonderful trip!!! Add me to the list of jealous (in a good way, LOL)

Kate said...

Ha. When I read the beginning of your post I was like "Damn! This is why you don't have kids!" But looks like you already knew that. Yes, I have a great hubby and son but I know I'll probably be well into menopause before I get to start crossing places off my 'to-see' list. Plus Will is walking now and starting to have tantrums. It's getting real....I'm getting tired.

yezenia said...

Neener neener. ;)