Sunday, November 05, 2006

Depression

I was having a very lovely day today. We threw a baby shower for our friend, first baby of the bunch. I was surrounded by friends, the place was very festive, we were having fun playing Baby Bingo. Here's where my blissful day came to a screeching halt. My friend's mother said she wanted offer me her condolences. Thinking she had me confused with someone else, I gave her a puzzled look. She went on to say that my ex (the last one, who shortly before breaking up with me had been shopping for an engagement ring) had gotten married.

Being the trooper that I am, I put on a cheery face and told her that thankfully I had dodged that bullet. I really thought I was ok. But then I went into the bathroom and almost puked. I tend to become nauseated when I have a surge of strong emotion. That very reaction, in fact, is to blame for why said ex broke up with me. When we had first started dating, we ran into another of my exes, "the love of my life." Same reaction, nausea, and not from disgust. Well P said, 2 years and several discussions about "the future" later, that he could never get the sight of my reaction to another man out of his head. He said he knew that he could never cause such a reaction in me. Obviously he was wrong.

I managed to get through the day and an uncomfortable ride home with my mom without losing it. But once home, the floodgates opened. To add to the misery, I had to come to work at 10pm, where someone promptly asked me what was wrong and why were my eyes so red and puffy. There went the floodgates again.

Just when I thought I was ok with being a spinster, it all goes horribly wrong.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiga I am there for you if you want to call me...God only knows why he does the things He does...look at my life for goodness sakes! ;) Love ya!

yezenia said...

Oh I don't think she had any bad intentions. I guess it's my fault for always putting on this front about not caring about it. But in truth, it really hurt more than my ego when he dumped me. But it's my pride that keeps me making light of it all. Well, somedays pride is the only thing that keeps one walking out the door in the morning. Shrug.

Spinsterella said...

Awww - don't worry too much about it - it's a natural reaction.

I'd be exactly the same.

cruzzer68 said...

Awwwwwww Mannnnnnn....you'll be ok. Wish I was there to cheer you up...I've been through a lot & let me tell you...your guy is out there waiting for you...watch & see.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Araxi. I'm sure your friend's mom didn't *mean* to hurt you but did she think you wouldn't have a reaction at all? It just a) wasn't fair and more importantly b), not the time or the place for such a comment. Having been through the broken engagement thing myself, believe me, there's a reason why you two broke up. One day it really will be clear. In the meantime, yeah the hurt sucks and I'm sorry you're going through that.

Unknown said...

Augh Yez I remember when that guy broke up with you. Everything happens for a reason, and for some reason I know you will not end up a spinster. Next time tell that lady .. go eat a chile, but say it with a smile.