Monday, October 23, 2006

My quirk has a name...

Ever since I can remember, I've had the feeling that colors and numbers have personalities. I always thought that in early childhood I had made up stories about my crayons and numbers, and simply carried them with me my whole life. But I just found a name for the way I perceived numbers and colors. Synesthesia. I was Googling Nikola Tesla today and apparently he had a form of synesthesia, which made me read up on that, and then there it was. Evidence that I'm not the only person that sees personalities in things. Some people actually see colors oozing from printed numbers, but I don't have anything nearly as lovely.

Anyway, it just made me wonder how many strange connections occur in the human brain and how different perception can be from one brain to the next. I often look at schizophrenic people and wonder if their disease lets them see things the rest of us can't see. How scary would that be?



2 comments:

Kate said...

Interesting. In my mind I've always equated numbers and colors. To me every number has a color. Like if I were to imagine the number 5, it'd be red. 3 is yellow. 7 is purple. No personalities though.

yezenia said...

Ah see, I'm not the only one. I mentioned this at work last week and everyone there has one more reason to think I'm a freak of nature. Humph.